Feb 17, 2011

Dried Apples

I never thought I'd do two posts in one day but that's when you get when you have a clean house and two sleeping babies (tending my nephew Cash) so I'm going to post a cooking recipe, finally. This isn't really a recipe as much as I was craving it and just happened to take some pictures of the process. 
So I had a lot of delicious apples from Costco that I knew we would never eat before they went bad so I decided to dry them one random day and I am so glad I did. They were just what I wanted except next time I will just do sugar and cinnamon, I wanted it a little bit more simple. 

10 apples
1 lemon or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar or truvia
1-1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice  
Wash, peel and core apples. If you were smart you would get an apple peeler... I peeled and cored apples for 30 minutes. I didn't mind one bit but if your thinking you would, get a peeler.  10 apples later and I only cut myself once, I was pretty proud.
Put apples in large bowl with lemon juice and water as soon as you cut them. This is so that the apples won't brown.
After your done cutting all the apples put them on a paper towel and pat them dry really well.
 Mix all your spices together and put into a shaker and shake onto apples. I didn't have allspice so I just left it out and it was fine.
Put onto parchment paper or on racks and bake at 200 degrees for a few hours, turn over apples at some point, it took about five hours for mine. As you can see I was out of parchment paper at the time so I put them on foil. Big mistake. They stuck to the foil horribly so please I beg of you do not put them on foil. Also next time i will not cut the slices so small. It was not fun going through and flipping every single apple slice. There you go, it was really nice to have apples a different way and still healthy. Enjoy, we sure did!





No comments:

Post a Comment