Jan 12, 2012

experimenting

 I have been hearing lots of things about ground turkey breast, how yummy it is, and how much more healthy it is compared to hamburger meat.
I've been wanting to try it out to see how similar it is to hamburger meat, to see if we like it, and to see how it holds up in all my hamburger recipes.
I was at the store yesterday and decided that it was about time to try it and see what the outcome was.
(or maybe because I was watching The Biggest Loser two nights ago and they made a ground turkey breakfast burrito that looked amazing and I just had to try something with it)
So I grabbed me some Jenny-O ground turkey and headed home. 
The package I bought was 93% meat with 7% fat which is pretty dang good considering that most hamburger meats are 70 to 30%.
There is also a 99 to 1% that Jenny-O sells, but the 93% was on sale... 
Don't judge me.
I decided that meatloaf was a good choice for the first round of experimenting.
Me and Jon have never been fans of meatloaf but we both love this recipe, and Kale devours it which is always a plus. 
I think I like it because I grill it rather than cooking in the oven and I love the crunchy outside it has.
It also is pretty healthy for you, we ate it a lot while doing HCG.
Anyways, back to the turkey.
So I mixed everything all up, slapped it on George and waited very impatiently.
If you are wondering who George is, it's about time I introduced him.
George is my lean mean fat grilling machine.
And I love my George.
We got him for our wedding and I am so grateful because I never would have bought him otherwise, and I love him... A lot.
Are you getting that I love my George?
He's sort of great, and if you don't have one, you might need to go and get your very own George.
 So, we sat down to dinner and all three of us were very impressed.
It was delicious and really there was hardly a difference between the turkey meatloaf and hamburger meatloaf.
I definitely think that I am going to be making the switch to ground turkey from now on.
I'm really excited to try out some more recipes with it and see how it goes, but I am more than pleased with this one. 
I would love some yummy ground turkey recipes, so if any of you have some, don't hold out on me and please share!
Till next time!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I need your turkey-loaf recipe lady! Sounds yum!! I love using ground turkey too. Here's our favorite recipe with the Jenny-O turkey for Hawaiian Turkey Burgers, in case you want to try something a little different.
    1 can (8 oz) sliced pineapple
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    1/2 cup chopped red pepper
    1 Tbs. reduced sodium soy sauce
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 lb. lean ground turkey
    1/4 cup reduced sodium teriyaki sauce
    Hamburger buns

    -Drain pineapple and reserve 1/4 cup of juice. Set aside.
    -In a bowl combine bread crumbs, onions, red pepper, soy sauce, salt and reserved pineapple juice. crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into patties, usually Tyler and I can get 6-8 out of 1 lb. of meat.
    -While grilling, coat with teriyaki sauce on each side.
    -Grill pineapple, coat it with teriyaki sauce if desired...
    Done. These are so my favorite. And BONUS: they freeze crazy good. We make 6-8, eat 1 (Tyler eats 2) and then we freeze them for fast and easy lunches or dinners.

    Haha, sorry for the long comment girl, but I just had to share. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! thanks for the recipe Jenn they sound so good, I can't wait to try them! And I will post the turkey loaf recipe soon!

      Delete
  2. YUM. We like turkey burgers too. They're different than hamburgers but taste delicious!

    ReplyDelete